Friday, May 12, 2023 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM ET Room 209ABC
Immunology Teaching Interest Group: Enhancing Your Immunology Teaching
Sponsored by the AAI Education Committee
- Sumali Pandey, Minnesota State Univ., Moorhead
- Damian L. Turner, Williams Col.
- Viviane Boaventura, Oswaldo Cruz Fndn., Fed. Univ. of Bahia, Brazil, ImmunoAlvo board game for dynamic teaching of immunology
- William H. Carr, Medgar Evers Col., CUNY, Easing the pain of group work with an ice-breaker activity: "a case in point: from active learning to the job market"
- Nadeem Fazal, Chicago State Univ. Col. of Phrm., A case for teaching basic immunology through scientific journalism: lesson taught by a coronavirus went viral!
- Lindsey D. Hughes, Yale Sch. of Med., A perfect fit: 3D-printed kit to teach students principles of antigen-antibody recognition and herd immunity
Breakout Session Leaders
- Vitaly V. Ganusov, Univ. of Tennessee, and Julie M. Jameson, California State Univ., San Marcos, Use of the AAI curriculum recommendations in an undergraduate immunology course
- Tomas Helikar, Univ. of Nebraska, Lincoln, Louis B. Justement, Univ. of Alabama at Birmingham, Sumali Pandey, Minnesota State Univ., Moorhead, and Rebekah T. Taylor, Frostburg State Univ., Modeling immunological networks in an educational setting using Cell Collective*
- Aimee Pugh-Bernard, Univ. of Colorado Anschutz Med. Campus, The use and creation of analogies as a teaching tool for understanding immunology
- Rebecca Rivard, Gwynedd Mercy Univ., Immune Battle: use of a board game to help improve student understanding of immune function
Are you looking for new ideas or strategies to enliven and improve your teaching? If so, please join us for this special interest group, which will focus on strategies that instructors can use to successfully convey immunology concepts to students at the undergraduate and graduate levels. This session will explore teaching strategies through talks and structured breakout discussion groups. Current educators, new faculty, and trainees with an interest in teaching are welcome.
*Bring your laptop to get the most out of this breakout session!