Friday, May 12, 2023 12:00 PM – 2:15 PM ET West Salon GH
Careers Roundtables and Speed Networking Session
Sponsored by the AAI Minority Affairs Committee
Generously supported by the Department of Immunobiology, Yale School of Medicine
- Tonya J. Webb, Univ. of Maryland Sch. of Med., AAI Minority Affairs Committee Chair
Career building and networking skills have never been more crucial to ensure success for trainees and early career scientists, including those traditionally underrepresented in biomedical research. At the session, take advantage of the opportunity to meet in small-group format with established immunologists and others to hear how they have handled the career challenges you now face and learn what they believe will work for you today. Then practice networking in a relaxed environment offering a structured networking exercise and personalized feedback on communicating your scientific interests/objectives most effectively. Scientists and trainees of all backgrounds are encouraged to attend!
Registration Fee: $30 (includes lunch)
Grad Student: Finding a Mentor, Setting Sights on Postdoc Training
- Curtis Henry, Emory Univ.; Beth Tamburini, Univ. of Colorado
- Julie Mirpuri, UT Southwestern Med. Ctr.; Henrique Serezani, Vanderbilt Univ.
- Joseph Larkin III, Univ. of Florida; Robin Stephens, Rutgers Univ.
Navigating Challenges Unique to International Graduate Students and Postdocs
- Adriana Larregina, Univ. of Pittsburgh; Mercedes Rincon, Univ. of Colorado
- Craig Maynard, Univ. of Alabama at Birmingham; Lili Sanmarco, Seismic Therap.
Postdoc: Finding a Mentor, Setting Sights on a Faculty Position
- Luis Montaner, The Wistar Inst.; Charlotte Vines, Univ. of Texas at El Paso
- Harlan Jones, Univ. of North Texas; Antonieta Guerrero-Plata, Louisiana State Univ.
- Maria-Luisa Alegre, Univ. of Chicago; Jeniffer Hernandez, Keck Graduate Inst.
Junior Faculty: Preparing for Promotion and Tenure
- Elizabeth Kovacs, Univ. of Colorado; Carla Rothlin, Yale Sch. of Med.
- Jose Conejo-Garcia, Duke Univ.; Tonya Webb, Univ. of Maryland Sch. of Med.
- Robert Binder, Univ. of Pittsburgh
Maintaining Research Productivity at a Primarily Undergraduate Teaching Institution
- Michael Opata, NIAID, NIH; Jennifer Punt, Univ. of Pennsylvania
Academia or Industry: How to Decide (or Switch Sides)
- Louise D’Cruz, BD Biosci.; Stephen Haley, Immudex
- Jonathan Deane, Kumquat Biosci.; Barbara Sullivan, Ultragenyx
- Robert Balderas, BD Biosci.; Kiyomi Komori, Kinevant Sciences
- Cherié Butts, Biogen; Sadiye Rieder, Horizon Therapeut.
- Steven Crampton, Janssen Pharma.; Isharat Yusuf, Gossamer Bio
- Frann Antignano, STEMCELL Technol.; Rashade Haynes II, Bristol Myers Squibb
Government Agency Careers (including Grant Review)
- Swinburne Augustine, EPA; Kelly Hudspeth, NIAID, NIH
- Timothy Gondre-Lewis, NIAID, NIH; Anuja Mathew, NIAID, NIH
- Thomas Conway, NIAID, NIH; Vanitha Raman, NIAID, NIH
Beyond the Bench Science Careers:
- Eduardo Davila, Univ. of Colorado; Amber Miller, Fortis Life Sci.
- James Lillard, Morehouse Sch. of Med.; Aliyah Weinstein, Fortis Life Sci.
- Derek Haseltine, Hertz Fndn.; Thandi Onami, Bill and Melinda Gates Fndn.
- Science Policy
- Emily Kansler, AAI; Jacob Schumacher, AAI; Yvette Seger, FASEB
- Scientific Patent Law
- Jaconda Wagner, Wagner Law LLC; Joseph Hsiao, Officeof the Solicitor, U.S. Dept. of the Interior
- Scientific Publishing /Science Writing
- Adriana Benavides, Am. Assoc. for Cancer Res.; Charles Richter, AAI
- Nicole Beauchamp, AAI; Emily Arturo, AAI