Saturday, May 13, 2023 11:45 AM – 1:15 PM ET West Salon GH
Careers in Science Lecture and Roundtables
Sponsored by the AAI Education Committee and AAI Committee on the Status of Women
- Dorina Avram, Moffitt Cancer Ctr., Committee on the Status of Women Chair
- Gwendalyn J. Randolph, Washington Univ. Sch. of Med. in St. Louis, Avoiding tokenism—choosing your seat at the table
At this popular session, attendees will have the opportunity to meet with experienced scientists to explore specific career issues important to today’s scientists. Gain insights into issues you are confronting in your own career. Topics include international opportunities in science, succeeding in graduate school, tips on grant writing, considerations for scientists in M.D.-Ph.D. careers, and exciting careers beyond the bench. Topics include building productive mentor/mentee relationships; overcoming self-doubt; and tackling gender biases in recruitment, research, and leadership; and navigating work/life issues, such as balancing careers with family and transitioning from specific career stages, which may be relevant to any work environment (academic research, biotech industry, governmental agencies, nonprofit). Don’t miss this great opportunity!
Registration Fee: $30 (includes lunch)
A Conversation about Bystander Intervention
- Gwendalyn J. Randolph, Washington Univ. Sch. of Med. in St. Louis
New PI (mentoring effectively, recruiting students and postdocs, preparing for promotion, early career self-promotion)
- Venuprasad Poojary, UT Southwestern Med. Ctr.; Gregory F. Sonnenberg, Weill Cornell Med.
Succeeding in Graduate School
- Lee Ann Garrett-Sinha, Univ. at Buffalo, SUNY; Joseph Larkin, III, Univ. of Florida; Brian Sheridan, Stony Brook Univ.; David Weiner, Wistar Inst.
Graduate Student to Postdoc
- Ann Griffith, UT Health San Antonio; Wei Luo, Indiana Univ. Sch. of Med.; Joyce Wu, Ohio State Univ.
Postdoc to PI
- Lisa Denzin, Child Health Inst. of New Jersey; David Hafler, Yale Sch. of Med.; Shruti Naik, New York Univ. Grossman Sch. of Med.; Irene Salinas, Univ. of New Mexico; Robin Stephens, Rutgers New Jersey Med. Sch.
- Kate MacNamara, Albany Med. Col.; Liang Zhou, Univ. of Florida
Building Networking Skills
- Judith Cannon, Univ. of New Mexico; Cheong-Hee Chang, Univ. of Michigan; Rachel Gerstein, Univ. of Massachusetts Chan Med. Sch.; Amanda Jamieson, Brown Univ.
Biotech and Industry
- Richard Boismenu, Sangamo Therapeutics; Richard Hanna, AstraZeneca; James Jin, Biocytogen Boston Corp.; Kiyomi Komori, Kinevant Sciences; Nikki B. Marshall, GSK; Sadiye Rieder, Horizon Therapeut.; Karsten Sauer, Cullinan Oncology; Erica Stone, GigaGen
Careers in Science Policy
- Lauren G. Gross, AAI; Emily Kansler, AAI
Grant Writing for PIs
- Michele Anderson, Univ. of Toronto; Jie Sun, Univ. of Virginia
Grant Writing for Fellowships
- Shannon Dunn, St. Michael’s Hosp., Toronto; Virginia Shapiro, Mayo Clin.
Research from the M.D., Ph.D. Perspective/The Physician Scientist
- Maria-Louisa Alegre, Univ. of Chicago; Amal Amer, Ohio State Univ.; Onyinye Iweala, Univ. of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; Fayyaz Sutterwala, Cedars-Sinai Med. Ctr.
Careers in Veterinary Immunology
- Weishan Huang, Louisiana State Univ.; Crystal Loving, National Animal Disease Ctr.
- Haiyan Liu, Natl. Univ. of Singapore; Gianluca Veggiani, Louisiana State Univ. and Cold Spring Harbor Lab.
How to Build Productive Mentor/Mentee Relationships
- Barbara Kee, Univ. of Chicago; Kashayarsha Khazaie, Mayo Clin.
Balancing Teaching Responsibilities with Research
- Deborah Brown, Clarkson Univ. and Trudeau Inst.; Julie Jameson, California State Univ., San Marcos
How to Negotiate for Better Self-Promotion
- Thirumala-Devi Kanneganti, St. Jude Children’s Res. Hosp.; Malini Raghavan, Univ. of Michigan
NEW! Science Communication, Popular Science Writing, Editing
- Deepta Bhattacharya, Univ. of Arizona; Jennifer Grier, Univ. of South Carolina Sch. of Med., Greenville
Challenges for Women Mentors and PIs
- Laurence Morel, UT Hlth. San Antonio; Carla Rothlin, Yale Sch. of Med.
Academia versus Industry
- Mandy McGeachy, Cornell Univ.; Jeff Rathmell, Vanderbilt Univ. Med. Ctr.
- Dan Nevrivy, Nevrivy Patent Law Grp.
Tackling Gender Biases in Recruitment, Research, and Leadership
- Avery August, Cornell Univ.; Dorina Avram, Moffitt Cancer Ctr.
Careers in Government Agencies
- Yasmine Belkaid, NIAID, NIH; Deborah Hodge, NIAID, NIH; Kaushiki Mazumdar, CSR, NIH; Courtney Pinard, NIMH, NIH
- Henrique Borges da Silva; Mayo Clin.; Jose Conejo-Garcia, Duke Univ.
Opportunities for Scientists in Non-profits/Foundations
- Jennifer Pesanelli, Biophysical Society; Joshua Vieth, JDRF